Friday, September 30, 2011

P.I.L.

What's your purpose in life?" My brother asked me - for the umpteenth time.

"I don't know!" I blurted back at him, annoyed at his persistence with such a futile question.

Growing up with an older brother obsessed with such global questions seemed a little confusing to me.

Now that I'm an adult and have children of my own, I find myself asking them the same question, only with a twist, "What do you want to become when you grow up?"  Ironically, I still find myself musing at my purpose in life (but don't tell my brother!).

Until three years ago, being a wife and mom to six kids would have been my answer.  But now, I realize God has a different definition for my life's purpose.

"He has saved us and called us to a holy life, not because of anything we have done but because of His own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time," (2 Timothy 1:9 NIV)

We are here to become His holy vessels.  In each one of us, it will look quite different, but we are all going through trials of various kinds so that the trying of our faith will produce steadfastness. Once steadfastness has its full effect, we may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (Paraphrase from James 1:2-4)

That's why pastor's can say, "no matter what you do, do it unto the glory of God."  No matter what path we take or what curves life may throw our way, we are all striving to become holy vessels - lacking nothing.  In this way, we will be ready to spend eternity with our perfect Savior!

Now I just need my brother to ask me that question once again..."What's your purpose in life?"

When he does ask me, I'll be ready and confident with my answer: "To become God's holy vessel."

Sonya

No comments: