Monday, March 21, 2011

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
~ Matthew 10:29-31




Spring is such a remarkable time of year. Snow and cold give way to budding, blooming and birdies. The soft, sweet tweets of earth are heard and almost inhaled as our pale selves venture once again into our yards and parks. Children especially value the newness of God's creation as spring bursts forth, running, jumping, playing...reaquainting themselves with oniony grass and daffodils, bikes, bumps and the occasional bruise and the tell-tale call of the ice cream truck.

Both of our daughters LOVE to walk. As the mild temperatures frequent our area and spring coats replace the warm fuzziness of winterwear, they clamor at the door just waiting to explore. When our younger daughter was first talking, she would cry out everytime she saw a bird, pointing and jumping like she were seeing it for the first time everytime. On one particular spring day, she and my mom were spending time together. They happened upon a little tiny bird, which flew away quickly, so quickly my mom was not certain what her little love was saying. Hannah repeated "bird" many times, each time met with my mom's response, "What?" After the fourth attempt, Hannah took my mother's face in her hands and said quite articulately, "TWEET...TWEET...TWEET." No confusing that.

Hannah is adopted. She came to us from Jiangxi province in China. Four years ago this month, God performed a miracle when He built another family His way. We cherish they way Hannah came to us, but have often been saddened knowing there was time in her life where we were not with her. In my design, this never would have happened, but in God's design, it is simply the way it is. Hannah spoke English quickly and though her words were tough to discern at times, she has always been incredibly clear about how very much her little mind absorbs. Her first and favorite song was, "His Eye is on the Sparrow". She'd sing with great abandon, particularly pausing at certain points to place inflection where she felt the need to be heard.

Why should I feel discouraged,
Why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for Heav'n and home,
When Jesus is my portion?
A constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches over me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Refrain:
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know he watches (I know he watches)
(I know he watches me)

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know he watches me (He watches me)
He watches me (I know he watches me)
Civilla D. Martin and Charles H. Gabriel
(She does not always sing verse 2 and 3)

She sang the words so frequently, I asked her one night why she likes this song so much.

Her very simple response, "I am His sparrow."

I am not certain she understands the depth of her words or the breadth of His love. I do find it comforting that in the days and months before she was placed in our arms that her Heavenly Father watched over her, kept her safe and she knows that!

We are each His sparrows. We are never out of His vision. I am awestruck by a gracious and loving God who knows even the number of hairs on my head. I am a worrier and God has reminded me consistently of His careful consideration of me. Hannah, at the tender age of 3, ministered to my heart with her assured conviction of her savior's constant glances and unfailing love. The sparrows are worthy and considered, we are more so.

Sparrows... insignificant were these little birds that if you bought four sparrows the seller would throw in one more for free. And the extra sparrow, Jesus said, "and not one of them is forgotten before God." (Luke 12:6-7) He cares so much ... it is surreal that even this extra sparrow is noted and observed by God! How praiseworthy it is that we are far more precious to God than all the sparrows combined.

Today, I am thankful for a little round-faced baby who IS one of His sparrows and for a gracious Saviour who does not become weary, but keeps His eyes firmly adhered to all of His sparrows.

How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies.
I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the Lord.
With my whole being, body and soul,I will shout joyfully to the living God.
Even the sparrow finds a home,and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young
at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God!
~ Psalm 83:1-3


Heather

3 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Beautiful post, Heather! So thankful for His tender care of us and all His little sparrows!

Longing for that lovely dwelling place!

Kathryn said...

This is one of my favorite hymns. What a blessing to be reminded of it today! Thank you!

Warren Baldwin said...

Neat story, and neat application of this song. Creates a greater appreciate of it for us. Good post.