Monday, August 8, 2011

The Widows and the Orphans...



"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

I often refer to the above scripture as it relates to our family. As an adoptive mama, I am fiercely protective of our choice to adopt and also prepared for questions. I love that scripture has called us to this task and does so in several areas of His Word. But, what about the widows?

Who are they?

Where do they live?

Is this really our responsibility?

Well, simply, yes. And they are close by, I assure you.

I recently visited my grandmother in the nursing facility of her home. Due to our schedule, we arrived just at lunchtime and I considered leaving, as not to disturb her during mealtime. My grandmother does not know who we are...she brightens with great aniticpation when we enter, with certain familiarity, but struggles with what significance we have in her life. She LOVES seeing the children, an area she disliked when her memory served her faithfully.

Truth be told, we have only been in my grandmother's life for 20 years. She married my grandfather after my grandmother had gone home to Jesus. I have been blessed with TWO wonderful grandmothers in this life. So, even though my grandfather has now also gone home to be with Jesus, I still feel called to visit and spend time with this remarkable lady.

On the day we arrived at lunchtime, she was seated with three other lovely ladies. The conversation turned to the children and remained there for quite some time. During a particularly spirited part of the conversation, one of the women reached out to one of my children and asked quite boldly for a hug. And then she replied with sadenss, "No one comes to visit and it has been a really long time since I have been hugged."

Needless to say, this was HUGE push from God for our family to more clearly see how He wants us to care for the widows around us. I have them in my family, in my neighborhood, in the home where my grandmother resides. Are there folks hurting in your community? We can take them a special gift, sit and spend time, read to them, pray with them. I share this because it may be that God is calling you to tend to someone needing a hug this very day. Will you outstretch your arms?

"...so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. Deuteronomy 14:29

Heather

2 comments:

Terry Laudett said...

Thank you for some practical advice concerning an often-neglected area in my life.

John said...

I agree with you. It is our responsibility, when we can, to care for the orphans, elderly, ill. I just adopted another child (makes 5 at home now ... yikes L:) She is wonderful. She has some deformities of her knees which is correctable and will have surgery next week. Then she will be able to walk eventually. She is now 2 1/2. Please pray for Anna.

Not everyone has to adopt a child, however. As you said, visit them, read to them, call and check up on them. Show the love we have been so freely given.

Bless you, nice post.