Friday, January 15, 2010

Sometimes I Am A Real Drip

"A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping." Proverbs 19:13

Wives, can I get a witness? Are you ever a "constant dripping"? Oh, sometimes I feel like a constant dripping. No, sometimes I am a constant dripping to my husband.

Think of this illustration from Proverbs 19:13: "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping." Drip. Drip. Drip. Think of how unnerving it is when your faucet is dripping and you can't stop it without a repair! Drip. Drip. Drip. What a waste of water. Think of a leak in your roof or windows that lets water in every time it rains. Drip. Drip. Drip. It can seem torturous and it causes damage.
That's what I can be to my husband when I am quarrelsome". My words are wasted and they cause damage. Not communicating and speaking the truth in love. Not speaking respectfully about real issues that need to be addressed. Quarrelling. Stirring it up. Picking. Ugh. It's ugly!

Just the thought of my dripping episodes makes me cringe. When I am quarrelling, my heart needs repair. I need to steep myself in His Word and let His healing balm mend my heart. "Sanctify them by the truth. Your Word is truth." John 17:17

As I grow in the Lord and in His Word, the dripping episodes are much less frequent. However, without the Living Water of God's truth flushing through my heart, my flesh sure can quarrel. As I look to Him, by His grace He restores me. He heals my heart and makes it whole. His quiet waters restore my soul. "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake." Psalm 23:2-3

Is your broken heart causing you to stir it up and quarrel with your spouse? Bow your heart and will to Him. Ask Him to search and test your heart and see if there is any offensive way in you. Ask Him to lead you in His everlasting way. "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

As we abide in Him and His Word, He faithfully and graciously cleanses us. Remember, "Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." Psalm 34:5 Look to Him and ask Him to stop the dripping. As your roots are planted deep in His love and His Word, you will splash your spouse with the delightful fruit from the Living Water!

Sharon

12 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!

I don't like to be a drip either! LOL! Great illustration!

Love and blessings - Jill

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was a great post, we can be dripping either as a nag or as a honeycomb. I choose the honeycomb.

Beth Herring said...

Great post. Great reminder to be a godly wife and not a 'dripping wife'.

Thanks,
Beth

Eagles Wings said...

AWESOME POST! Thank you! I don't want to be a dripping wife! I know I am a lot more than I want to be!...Thank you!

Sue J. said...

Solomon serves this up more than once across the Proverbs, so it has obviously been a longtime problem. Unmet expectations can lead to dripping. The problem is having expectations in the first place.

God has set up relationships and guidelines for everything. When we decide that things are going according to "plan", we start the drip cycle. We need to remember whose plan we're following.

It's a fantastic metaphor; all too true!

Reaching Flood Stage said...

LOL...Yeah I've done my share of dripping! But, to copy a phrase from Joyce Meyer, I may still be a little drippy, but I'm not as drippy as I used to be! Praise God! Great analogy!

Nana Jul said...

Thank you for you post! That is a good measuring tool to ponder and judge ourselves with. Great scripture to stand on too!
And God is able to help us stop dripping!
Hallelujah!
Julie

Edie said...

These are words of wisdom that can be applied in other relationships as well. I've been known to be a little drippy at times too. :)

Kelly said...

Drip, drip, drip...I think I need a plumber. ;-)

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Old Geezers can be drip, drip, drips in our wives ears also. That's what Mrs. Geezer tells me know once or twice a week.

Warren Baldwin said...

Wonderful post, Sharon, on a sensitive topic. Egyptian Wisdom regarded the wife as the roof protecting her family. A leaky roof, or drip, allowed moisture into the home which would cause damage. Proverbs plays on that imagery by comparing the destructive drip of water to the destruction of critical or harmful speech. The very care that should be provided (protection from destructive influences) is brought into the home by a quarrelsome spirit.

Note: even thought the wife is the focus in this and several other verses about the leaky roof or constant drip, similar warnings are given about the quarrelsome man.

Good post.

wb

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

This touches home. I think I would fail the drip test on more occasions than I would like to admit. Thanks for giving us something to think about!