Friday, February 26, 2010

Praying For Your Spouse


"Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me..." Romans 15:30 (KJV)



The most precious and meaningful changes that come in our hearts are done through the work of the Holy Spirit. The most valuable offering of love we can give to our spouse is to pray for him or her. Keeping our own hearts humble and moldable before the Lord, we must pray for our spouse. In Romans 15:30, Paul is begging fellow believers to "strive together with me in your prayers to God for me". Praying daily for your spouse can be laborious, a "striving" so to speak, but seeing and tasting the fruit of your prayers to a faithful and loving God is an abundant and satisfying benefit.

"I call on You, O God, for You will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer." Psalm 17:6

I keep a Family Prayer Journal, which is filled with scriptures I pray for my husband and children regularly. Since we know that all scripture is God-breathed, I pray with confidence and peace when I pray according to scripture. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16


Here are just a few of the scriptures I pray for my husband, Jim.


"For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield." Psalm 5:12


"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands." Psalm 90:17


"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your word." Psalm 119:9


"But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14


"Righteousness guards the man of integrity..." Proverbs 13:6


"I will bow down toward Your holy temple and will praise Your name for Your love and Your faithfulness, for You have exalted above all things Your name and Your word." Psalm 138:2


"These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates..." Zechariah 8:16


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1


"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' " Matthew 25:21


Healthy marriages and hurting marriages all need prayer. God will honor your humble prayers for your spouse. Healthy marriages can be prevented from turning into hurting marriages by covering them laboriously in prayer. Hurting marriages can be revived and become healthy marriages by the Giver of New Life when they are surrounded by prayer. Plain and simple: Pray faithfully and unceasingly for your husband or wife. "Pray without ceasing." 1 Thess. 5:17


"For this is what the high and lofty One says—He who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." (Isaiah 57:15 NIV)



***********************************************


Congratulations to "myboys_grr" who is the winner of the Valentine's Serendipity! Dear GRR: Please let me know your e-mail so I can contact you for your mailing address! Thanks!





Sharon

4 comments:

Kelly said...

This post is what my sister calls "a printer." It means, I need to print it out, so I can refer to it often. Really great words today, Sharon.

Reaching Flood Stage said...

Praying for our husbands is so important. Thanks for the roadmap. I know the power of prayer, but I also know that it can be even more powerful to pray together for one another. This, quite frankly is something that's very challenging for me for a variety of reasons, but when it has happened it was awesome!

Greg C said...

Awesome message. I got chills when I read Matthew 4:17. That is so powerful. I need to come back here more often. I know some of the writers and have been following them for sometime now.

Edie said...

Excellent Sharon. I really needed this verse right now. "For this is what the high and lofty One says—He who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." (Isaiah 57:15 NIV)