Monday, September 6, 2010

Grains of Sand, Waves of Power



"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

This has been our mantra this year. Truly, I pray this scripture every single day. Sometimes once a day during my quiet time and sometimes, it is a constant prayer that reminds me, I am not in control. This week, I was reminded in even more tangible ways that I am most definitely not in control.

It is no secret to those who know me that I LOVE the beach. I adore the quiet moments with my children, the joy of doing things in slow motion as opposed to the frenetic pace we keep with jobs and activities. Nowhere on earth do I feel such a sense of calm and oneness with God as I do when I am toe to toe with sand and surf. Regardless of the weather, the beach is my sanctuary.

This past week, our family was blessed to spend some time close to the water. It was a beautiful week, though meterologists spun and churned, like the waves, preparing for a tropical storm which brought with it unusual force. Many times, I found myself standing... staring... praying before the giant waves, feeling His presence far more profoundly than if the water just whispered up to my feet.

His power was evident. Absolutely nothing but a strong and mighty God could create such majesty. There before my very eyes and very ears, I could physically see and hear the Will of God. It was far stronger and bigger and bolder than I could ever be. The sand yielded to the motion and pounding of the waves, allowing itself to be moved and changed.

"For in Him, we live and move and have our being." As some of your own poets have said, "We are His offspring." Acts 17:28

It is amazing to witness the dichotomy of our relationship with Christ, on one hand, He is sovereign and completely in control; on the other hand, He is close, personal and a vital participant in His creation. Our vulnerability is placed at the forefront when we stand in the center of the tossing and turning waves. Their power reassuring in the moments when fear has left us. Our faith is fed and strengthened in the fury of the storm and though we are tempted to plead for still waters and non-changing footing, that would breed stagnant water and worse yet, stagnant hearts.

I pray I am like that sand...evolving and changing, not by my own will, but by the will and power of the almighty Father, who even in His strength and magnitude is never too big to be close to me, yet always big enough to tackle the fiercest of storms. The physical beauty of what God can do is only surpassed by the spiritual and emotional beauty of the way He teaches our hearts and spirits to yield to His perfect will.

May we always seek our spiritual walk to be like that of the shore and the waves, changing, yielding, forgiving...powerful!

"Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:9-10

Be blessed as the Lord changes the landscape of your shoreline...

Heather

3 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Beautiful, as always.

The ocean speaks of His majesty, His wonder and His love. I LOVE being at the beach. I feel like He speaks through the waves and the water.

And this past week with the amazing waves on behalf of the tropical storms/hurricane, His power His undeniable. He kept bringing to my mind: Proverbs 8:29 - "...when He gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep His command, and when He marked out the foundations of the earth."

The waters do not overstep His command. He gave the sea its boundary. Yes He did. And the waves obey. May we obey like that as well.

Reflecting on His amazing goodness,
Sharon

TRUTH SHARER said...

Loved the verse from JOB... a beautiful reminder of the magnitutde or our God! Praise Him!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Steve said...

Amen. My wife and I also love the beach, and many times just like you,rain or shine,we find that peace with God on the beach with our toes in the sand. You painted a beautiful picture of God with your words.May God bless you