Friday, December 17, 2010

Filling My Husband's Gas Tank

"By wisdom a house is built,
and through understanding it is established; 
through knowledge its rooms are filled
with rare and beautiful treasures."
Proverbs 24:3-4

Sometimes the seemingly small things we do for our spouse are the most meaningful expressions of our love, care and respect.  The beautiful treasures of our hearts can be shown through kindnesses that may even possibly go unnoticed by our spouse.  But God sees, and He honors our sincerity.  "Love must be sincere."  Romans 12:9

One of my favorite things to do for my husband is to fill his car's gas tank with fuel.  I usually look for an opportunity to drive his vehicle for a few errands on Saturday and, while I am out, I stop and fill up his gas tank.  Jim commutes several miles to work every Monday through Friday and usually has to fill his tank more than once a week.  When I fill his tank on the weekends, it saves him one stop during his very demanding work week.  Sometimes he notices and thanks me, and sometimes he does not, which is almost more fulfilling.  But it fills me with joy and satisfaction knowing that I have helped him a bit.  God sees my heart and gives me a little wink.  "I know, my God, that You test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things I have given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly Your people who are here have given to You."  1 Chronicles 29:17

Another small thing I do for Jim is to make him freshly brewed coffee for his travel mug each morning.  I pray this daily morning offering represents to him my devotion, consistency and dependability as his wife.  "Who dares despise the day of small things...?"  Zechariah 4:10

On Saturday mornings, I love when I can surprise Jim with the smell of breakfast cooking when he wakes up.  Whether it is eggs and bacon or slow-cooked oatmeal, this small expression of love puts a spring in his step for the whole day.  And if your spouse is like mine, the way to his heart is through his belly!  A good meal is a huge deposit in his heart.  "You will eat and be satisfied."  Deut. 11:15

Especially during the busyness of the Christmas season, I want to pause frequently and intentionally bless my husband in small but meaningful ways.  Today as I write this, I am planning on making his favorite Christmas cookies - "Almond Crescents".  (The butter is softening now!)  He loves them.  While I usually make several kinds of cookies each Christmas season, if I only had time for one kind, I would make the Almond Crescents. 

Filling my husband's fuel tank also fills his heart.  What small things to you like to do to fill your spouse's fuel tank??  Do share!  And I pray you and yours enjoy a peaceful, joyful and blessed Christmas season as we celebrate our Redeemer's birth! 


Sharon 

No comments: