Monday, November 1, 2010

Blessings from a Friend

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up..."
1 Thessalonians 5:11




Until I had my first child, I had never experienced the true gift of a homecooked meal.

Delivered.

To my home.

For me.

Just because.

But as my life changed forever and I assumed the title, "Mom" several special and wonderful people did this very thing for me. And I was blessed. With a new baby and a husband who went back to work quickly, it was such a delight to see five o' clock roll around and know that a delicious and nutritious meal awaited us. I felt like a good mother, allowing another's generosity of spirit feed my body and nourish my soul. I felt like an obedient and trusted wife, placing on our table the culmination of another's energy and love. I felt the body of Christ surround me and nurture our family, in the way that only the body can nurture.

When we experienced the death of our son, two of our dear and cherished friends were first on our doorstep, pasta and sauce in hand, apple cake, still warm, ready to provide comfort. And comfort us it did. Our lovely, lovely friends left an indelible embrace in the form of a homecooked meal.

One of my nearest and dearest friends is a tremendous cook. God has given her the gift of whipping up memories. Recently, for no specific reason at all, she blessed our family with a chicken pot pie. This lip smacking, belly pleasing, pie plate of joy brought squeals of delight from every family member. Far and beyond the temporary euphoria of a great meal was the lasting impression that we were important enough to warrant a gift of this magnitude during a busy and hectic week. As I prayed for her family that evening, I also prayed that God would reveal to me practical ways to express His love to others.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

I hope that I am "that friend". Whether it comes in the form of a cup of tea, a phone call with a bright and cheery message, or a simple note of encouragement and prayer...blessings from a friend are always necessary. They strengthen us. God calls us to share His love willingly and openly, in word and in action. May our relationships always include our pouring out His love graciously and with great zeal, in all circumstances.

"Freely you have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

In His love,
Heather

3 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Oh, wow! What a great post and one that I needed to read. We do need to learn how to be more willing servants for our precious Lord. Reaching out and ministering to those in need.

Oh, Lord let us pour out mightily to others in the love that only you can give.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Oh Heather,

This was a fantastic post. My friend recently died (from breast cancer) leaving behind her husband and 3 school aged daughters. I recently signed up to take them two meals, but had no idea it could leave such a lasting impression of love. I'm encouraged!

Sharon Sloan said...

Awwwww..... :)

Heather -- you ARE that kind of friend!!! Devoted to doing good in the Lord's name and in His love!

My first "meal delivery" on our porch was (before kids) when my father passed away. Friends would just leave meals on my porch. I was SO blessed and humbled. Never before had I needed or APPRECIATED the meal ministry. It is such a great way to provide some relief and oxygen to a friend....any time!

Encouraging post!

Hugs,
Sharon