Monday, July 26, 2010

Finding HIM

Our older daughter went through a stage, when she was three, it was the year of Finding Nemo. Her backpack, her stuffed toys, the show on ice, even her clothes bore the uncanny orange resemblance to the sweet and tender clownfish, Nemo. We watched the movie so many times, I dreamed about 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. Now, if you have ever seen this classic Disney tale, you know that the mommy is taken away far too early in the movie. As a result, the daddy cautiously raises Nemo on his own. Nemo, trying to assert his independence wanders off one day and is lost. The story accounts for the father fish's search for Nemo.

What about the Father's search for us? Are we anxiously and eagerly taking in His cues and signals of where we will find Him? Do we pray without ceasing and follow His word, that we might truly find Him? As with any journey, it is the course of travel in it's fullness that will define the trip.

If we consider our spiritual journeys, some of us have just begun the itinerary, others have advanced far past many of the mile markers we weren't sure we'd get to. Regardless of where we may be, the destination remains the same, safe in the arms of Jesus. No map or google directions will arrive us quickly to this spot. We are charged with growth and learning, with deeper seeking of His face and His word. Each day, I am ultimately aware of new ways the Lord reveals Himself to me to enrich the process and propel me forward toward Him.

"Your face, Lord, I will seek." Psalm 27:8

Detours? Oh yes, there are detours...when God's will was not what we were expecting, when our will gets dangerously in the way of His desire for us. We find ourselves crawling along, unsure, low vision, perhaps a storm without an umbrella or wipers. Sometimes, we sit stopped; for what seems like an eternity, we are without direction or guidance. Our GPS is suddenly silent. Our human condition naturally assumes that God has stepped away or that He is not answering. I would venture a guess that sometimes we are not in His will, we are lost, or we are exhibiting a child's strong will, not recognizing a blessing that may exist right in front of us.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

"The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame." Isaiah 58:11

Our heavenly Father wants the very best for his children. Like Nemo's father, he desires for us a rich and meaningful relationship and will take all necessary action to get there. Nemo's father would not have given up seeking his precious child...our Heavenly Father will not either. God sometimes provides for us BIG, bold street signs that light up in neon colors and other times, He whispers by softly and without fanfare. As with any relationship, the more carefully we abide, the easier it is for us to read the signs and respect the need for our Father to remain quiet or even silent as He works.

"My sheep, listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27

This is the beginning of our journey together. Seeking Him, finding Him...the ongoing pursuit of knowing ourselves and acknowledging our need for grace, unveiling our souls and our countenance that we would see over time, or on a daily basis the signs of gigantic proportions or hear the whispers of tranquility that come from only our God, the Father. My name is Heather. I am new to Titus 2 in Action, and a new creation in Him, each day when I seek to find my Heavenly Father and act in ways that are pleasing to Him. In my own journey, I stumble and fall, and rely on Him to set my path straight. God has blessed my life richly with a wonderful husband and two beautiful children. I am overjoyed to be here and look forward to Finding Him alongside all of you.

"Oh God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalm 63:1-4

6 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Welcome Heather! A beautiful post debuts your contributions here.

I love this:
"God sometimes provides for us BIG, bold street signs that light up in neon colors and other times, He whispers by softly and without fanfare. As with any relationship, the more carefully we abide, the easier it is for us to read the signs and respect the need for our Father to remain quiet or even silent as He works."

I am thankful for the BIG and yet cherish deeply to soft whispers of His voice in the daily abiding. Those treasure of truth and love He whispers into my heart as I seek Him....and really as He continues to pursue me. He is faithful.

Staying on the narrow road and abiding in Him daily is my heart's cry. Or, as Dory in Finding Nemo would say, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Privilege to journey with you, Heather, both in real life and here at T2. We will be blessed by His faithfulness and provision that we see shared here by you.

Swimming along,
Sharon

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Heather,

Welcome to T2! I am so excited to have you as part of our team. I look forward to finding Him right alongside you!

Kelly said...

Welcome Heather! What a great post. I too look forward to finding Him with you in your upcoming posts. May you be blessed, as well as a blessing.

Warren Baldwin said...

Nice to meet you and welcome to Titus2! Hope you will enjoy working with us. This is a great article. What is your personal blog title and address so we can visit it? wb

Patrinas Pencil said...

Welcome, Heather. Actually I'm new too. Don't know any of you but Stephanie.

This was an awesome post. a great reminder for me in my current situation. I loved the scriptures that you chose.

I just told my dad today that we need to build more altars. Places to remind us of who God is and has been in the past for us - places where He has met us on the journey - when we were lost and couldn't find our way. Places where He visited in surprising ways to bestow mercy and grace and even His miraculous touch.

We forget too easily how very present He is in our lives. We forget what He's shown us - given us - told us. We just forget! Life crowds in and takes over if we aren't consistently and fervently in Him, as we live and breathe in the world around us.

God bless you & yours, Heather

Patrina <")>><
The Lord is my Shepherd
I have everything I need

TRUTH SHARER said...

Welcome, Heather! I'm Stephanie and I'm new to Titus 2-IA as well! This is a great tool and team of writers. We are happy to have you join us and look forward to reading more.

Finding HIM is a such a great title and knowing Him is even more precious to my heart as I grow more in love with Him each day!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie