Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Expanding Your Territory

Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! 1 Chronicles 4:10 

Have you ever prayed that God would increase your territory? No, I don't mean physical territory, but the space of your influence. God has given you a sphere of influence. It starts in your own home, then it goes out to your neighbors, co-workers, and friends. Those around you see what you are doing, good or bad, and they judge your faith because of it.

Jabez prayed for more territory to increase his influence. Jesus also expects us to increase the territory of our influence. In Acts 1, he tells the disciples, "you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” He didn't expect them to only share his message in their local Jerusalem. No he expected them to carry it to the ends of the earth!

What are you doing to increase your influence for God? Volunteering locally at schools, churches or civic events can be your Jerusalem. Getting involved building houses for Habitat for Humanity or giving food to the food bank can be your Judea. Donations for Haiti relief or  donations to that missionary who visited your church literally spreads your territory to the ends of the earth!

What are you waiting for? Pray like Jabez, enlarge your territory and when you see the difference you can make for God...you will be blessed!

I'm excited to share that on Friday I will be increasing my own territory, with a guest post at the blog of Michael Hyatt, Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishing. I'd love for you to visit me there Friday (1/20) at www.michaelhyatt.com.

Kelly


1 comment:

Warren Baldwin said...

Good job using the Jabez story in a modern application. Some want to use the story to increase personal or business success (and it could apply to that). But I esp like your spiritual application - to expand our influence for the kingdom.

Great post!